Eletiofe Canada Rejects Ex-SARS Operative's Application for Asylum

Canada Rejects Ex-SARS Operative’s Application for Asylum

-

- Advertisment -

SARS

A former member of the notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Olushola Popoola has seen his application for asylum in Canada rejected.

Popoola’s application was rejected by the Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board in Canada because he was a member of the defunct unit of the Nigeria Police Force between 2002 and 2015 when he was a member of the police.

Popoola left Nigeria in 2016 for the United States before he travelled to Canada, where he claimed refugee status. His claim was, however, suspended while his case was referred to the Immigration Division for a determination of his inadmissibility.

According to the Canadian immigration department, Popoola was subsequently found “inadmissible pursuant to section 35(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, SC 2001, c 27 [the Act]” because “the Nigeria Police Force, and the SARS in particular, have committed crimes against humanity from 2002 to 2015” including “corruption and impunity” as well as “extrajudicial killings”.

Popoola later approached the Federal Court of Canada to seek judicial review of his determination of inadmissibility, arguing that he had resigned in 2011 but the Force did not accept his resignation, hence he continued till 2015.

But the presiding judge, Sébastien Grammond, on April 8, 2021, dismissed the application for judicial review while upholding the decision of the Immigration Division.

Grammond also said Popoola resigned for personal reasons, not because he learned of human rights abuses.

“I am dismissing his application, because the decision-maker reasonably assessed the relevant factors for deciding whether Mr. Popoola made a knowing and significant contribution to the crimes committed by the Nigerian Police Force,” the judge ruled.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that the allegations of human rights abuses and extrajudicial killings had culminated into weeks of nationwide protests in Nigeria last October with youths thronging the streets seeking justice for Nigerians unjustly slain by SARS operatives.

The police authorities later disbanded SARS and announced the formation of the Special Weapons and Tactics Team to replace the defunct police unit but human rights abuses cannot be said to have been stopped.

Latest news

Albinism: Osinbajo urges counter narratives to superstitious beliefs

The VP says albinism is a genetic difference not a contagious disease or a public health problem. ...

Sanwo-Olu inaugurates 110-bed Maternal, Child Centre in Epe

The MCC will provide all services related to reproductive issues. ...

Google Deletes Adamu Garba’s “App” From PlayStore

Adamu Garba Following hundreds of unfavourable reviews, Google has axed Adamu Garba’s app from...

Married Man, Lady Die During Romp In Lagos

File photo Tragedy struck at a hotel over the weekend after a married man...
- Advertisement -

Police Rescue 26 Abducted Children In Ebonyi

The Ebonyi State Police Command on Monday disclosed that it rescued over twenty-six abducted children which were taken to...

“I Support Yahaya Bello, No Better Youth To Lead Nigeria Than Him” – Mikel Obi

Nigerian professional footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder for EFL Championship club Stoke City, John Mikel Obi, has...

Must read

Albinism: Osinbajo urges counter narratives to superstitious beliefs

The VP says albinism is a genetic difference not...

Sanwo-Olu inaugurates 110-bed Maternal, Child Centre in Epe

The MCC will provide all services related to reproductive...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you