Eletiofe Mauricio Pochettino is prime candidate to replace doomed Setién...

Mauricio Pochettino is prime candidate to replace doomed Setién at Barcelona

-

- Advertisment -

  • Quique Setién’s sacking set to be confirmed on Monday
  • Pochettino reportedly met with Barça president last week

Mauricio Pochettino






Mauricio Pochettino has distanced himself from previous claims that he would rather work on a farm than manage Barcelona.
Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Action Images/Reuters

Mauricio Pochettino is the prime candidate to be the next Barcelona manager, with the club planning to sack Quique Setién in the coming days following their 8-2 hammering by Bayern Munich in the Champions League. The decision is expected to be ratified at a board meeting on Monday and will be just the first of a series of key changes over the next month.

Pochettino ate dinner with the Barcelona president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, last week according to Spanish radio station Cadena Ser. The former Tottenham manager, who played for and managed Barça’s local rivals Espanyol, has moved to distance himself from a previous remark, in which he claimed that he would rather go home and work on a farm than coach Barcelona.

“I was trying to quash the rumours [at the time] in a dramatic way,” he said in an interview with El País. “I’m not arrogant and I didn’t like saying that. Maybe I wouldn’t do it now, because you never know what will happen.”

Barcelona spoke to Pochettino, as well as former players Ronald Koeman and Thierry Henry, when they turned to Setién as a replacement for Ernesto Valverde as coach in January. By then, they had already been turned down by the former Barça midfielder Xavi Hernández.

Xavi, who is currently in charge of Qatari club Al-Sadd, is not keen to return to Camp Nou under this board of directors and has linked his future to Víctor Font, a likely opposition presidential candidate in the next election. Under pressure to resign, Bartomeu is understood to be discussing the possibility of bringing forward elections – currently scheduled for next summer – to spring 2021.

Despite insisting that Setién was going to continue in an interview last week, and refusing to give a clear answer in the immediate aftermath of the humiliation on Friday night, Maria Bartomeu said that “some” of those decisions had already been made before the club’s European exit. Others, he admitted, would follow in the wake of defeat.

Latest news

Transportation Fares Soar As Fuel Scarcity Resurfaces In Abuja

People trekking home Many people ended trekking home due to hike in fares in Abuja on Monday. It was gathered that...

Salihu Tanko-Yakasai Detained for Criticizing Buhari Is More Courageous Than Adesina And Shehu – Former Jigawa Governor, Sule Lamido

Sule Lamido Former Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, has hailed a former aide to Kano Governor, Salihu Tanko Yakasai...

John Boyega Wins First-Ever Golden Globe Award (Full List of Winners)

John Boyega Popular Hollywood actor, John Boyega has been honoured with a golden globe award. The British-Nigerian actor won his first-ever...

Nigeria To Disconnect Niger, Benin for Owing N2.60 Billion Electricity Debt

Electricity The federal government of Nigeria is to take immediate action against Niger and Republic of Benin for owing the...
- Advertisement -

Kiddwaya Speaks After Breaking Up With Erica, Says He Wasn’t Hurt After Her Fans Attacked Him

Kiddwaya and Erica BBNaija star, Kiddwaya, has revealed what kept him going after being attacked by fans of Erica because...

FG Launches Electronic Platform to Register Nigerians Interested In Getting Coronavirus Vaccine

Vaccine An electronic platform has been opened by the Federal Government for Nigerians to register in order to get coronavirus...

Must read

Transportation Fares Soar As Fuel Scarcity Resurfaces In Abuja

People trekking home Many people ended trekking home due to...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you