The Nintendo Switch never stays on store shelves for long. It doesn’t sell out as often as it did early in its life, but it’s still a very hot item and for good reason: It’s still a great console to get, even compared to next-gen offerings like the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. That’s why I’m stoked to see it sort of on sale. This kinda price is as good as it gets, folks.
It’s on sale for $300, which is admittedly its actual retail price, but this bundle includes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a party game every bit as essential as Scrabble. (Yes, Scrabble is a party game, leave me alone and let me drink my sherry in peace.) Usually these bundles stop there, but this one also includes three months of Nintendo Online service, so you can get schooled by Mario Kart players a third your age. This version of the Switch can be docked to a TV or played as a handheld.
Altogether it’s a value a bit over the sticker price. You’ll save about $68 on the bundle. Some states (mine included) are going back under lockdown through the upcoming holiday, which leaves me plenty of time to play through Spiritfarer for the hundredth time (here’s a list of our favorite games).
Before the quarantine, I used to love taking it to a cafe or on the bus. Now it just comes with me from my couch to my bed to the floor, or wherever I’ve decided to make a nest and be cozy for a few hours. It’s the perfect gift for this deeply accursed year.
Nintendo says it will also be available at Amazon, but isn’t as of publishing.
If you buy something using links in our stories, we may earn a commission. This helps support our journalism. Learn more.
Special offer for Gear readers: Get a 1-Year Subscription to WIRED for $5 ($25 off). This includes unlimited access to WIRED.com and our print magazine (if you’d like). Subscriptions help fund the work we do every day.
WIRED’s Pre-Black Friday Coverage
More Great WIRED Stories
- 📩 Want the latest on tech, science, and more? Sign up for our newsletters!
- A Navy SEAL, a drone, and a quest to save lives in combat
- Going solar: My year-long quest to get off the grid
- There’s something super weird about Netflix anime
- The history of poop is really the history of technology
- Thinking about holiday parties? Look at this troubling map
- 🎮 WIRED Games: Get the latest tips, reviews, and more
- 🎧 Things not sounding right? Check out our favorite wireless headphones, soundbars, and Bluetooth speakers