Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse to ditch the conventional box of chocolates and express your love in a more personal, and delicious, manner.
Imagine the look on your boyfriend’s face when you serve him homemade heart-shaped churros, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and sprinkled with a touch of sweetness.
Not only do these treats taste like love, but they’re also a fun way to add a personal touch to your Valentine’s celebration. Here’s how to whip up this delightful surprise.
Ingredients for heart-shaped churros
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- For the sugar coating:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Prepare the churro dough
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of water, ¼ cup unsalted butter, ½ tsp salt, and 2 tbsp granulated sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and stir in 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
Continue stirring vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
Add eggs and vanilla
- Beat the eggs one at a time into the dough mixture, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. After all the eggs have been added, stir in ½ tsp vanilla extract. The dough should be smooth and shiny.
Shape the churros
- Spoon the churro dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe heart shapes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- If you’re not using a cookie cutter as a guide, pipe the dough into “V” shapes and then press the ends together to form hearts.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes to help the hearts maintain their shape during frying.
Prepare for frying
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large pan to 375°F (190°C). Make sure there’s enough oil so the churros can be completely submerged.
Fry the churros
- Fry the churros in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until they are golden brown and crispy, about 2 to 4 minutes on each side. Use a slotted spoon to remove the churros and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate.
Coat with sugar
- Mix ½ cup granulated sugar with 1 tsp ground cinnamon in a shallow dish. Roll the warm churros in the sugar mixture until they are evenly coated.
Serve and enjoy
- Serve the heart-shaped churros warm with your choice of dipping sauces, such as chocolate, caramel, or strawberry sauce.
These heart-shaped churros are a sweet and thoughtful treat to share with your boyfriend on Valentine’s Day, showing him just how much you care with every delicious bite.